RALEIGH, N.C. —
Gov. Pat McCrory avoided questions about the state offering MetLife Inc. $94 million in tax breaks and other incentives to move thousands of jobs to North Carolina and using his former employer to help broker the deal.
The governor visited the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce to tout for a second day the announcement that MetLife would shift 2,600 jobs from offices in Massachusetts, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and California to Charlotte and Cary. McCrory said the state worked hard to attract MetLife.
“Let me tell you there was a lot of competition for this,” he said about one of the largest jobs announcements in North Carolina in years.
But McCrory refused to answer any questions about the deal, ignoring reporters’ questions as he followed his aides to a waiting car. He took no questions during a similar event Thursday in Raleigh.
It was previously reported that some of the jobs to be shifted south were from MetLife’s Johnstown office.
The big jobs announcement revives questions about McCrory and his work for Charlotte-based law and lobbying firm Moore & Van Allen. McCrory said last year he performed “client development work” at the firm, but is not a lawyer and had no specific clients.
And Friday, his aides continued to stress that he had no interaction with MetLife while at the law firm and limited involvement in brokering the deal as governor.
“There was no interface with the governor at all till the very end,” Commerce Secretary Sharon Decker told Charlotte-based WCNC-TV.
MetLife hired the company to help secure what is one of the largest packages in state history aimed at attracting one company.
To read stories in their entirety, visit one of these links: