For The Tribune-Democrat
Don’t subject yourself to tax penalties for missing important filing deadlines in 2013. Get out your 2013 calendar and mark any of the following tax deadlines that apply to you or your business:
• Jan. 15: Due date for the final installment of 2012 estimated tax for individuals (unless you file your 2012 return and pay any balance due by Jan. 31).
• Jan. 31: Employers must furnish 2012 W-2 statements to employees. Form 1099 information statements must be furnished to payees by payers. (Deadline for providing Forms 1099-B and consolidated statements to customers is Feb. 15.)
• Jan. 31: Employers must file 2012 federal unemployment tax returns and pay any tax due.
• Feb. 28: Payers must file information returns (such as 1099s) with the IRS. (April 1 deadline if filing electronically.)
• Feb. 28: Employers must send W-2 copies to the Social Security Administration. (April 1 deadline if filing electronically.)
• March 1: Farmers and fishermen who did not make 2012 estimated tax payments must file 2012 tax returns and pay taxes in full.
• March 15: 2012 calendar-year corporation income tax returns are due.
• April 15: Individual federal income tax returns for 2012 are due unless you file for an automatic extension. Taxes owed are due regardless of extension.
• April 15: 2012 federal partnership returns are due.
• April 15: 2012 annual gift tax returns are due.
• April 15: Deadline for making your 2012 IRA and education savings account contributions.
• April 15: First installment of 2013 individual estimated tax is due.
• June 17: Second installment of 2013 individual estimated tax is due.
• Sept. 16: Third installment of 2013 individual estimated tax is due.
• Oct. 15: Deadline for filing your 2012 individual tax return if you filed for an extension.
Call our office for more information or for assistance with these and other tax filings.
Thomas R. Seitz is a certified public accountant with Wessel & Co. of Johnstown.
Click here to subscribe to The Tribune-Democrat print edition.
Click here to subscribe to The Tribune-Democrat e-edition.