A local man was hospitalized Tuesday after striking a live wire while working on a South Street roof, police said.
The shock sent him tumbling to a sidewalk two floors down, witnesses said.
“It hit him ... and he just tumbled backward and fell,” said Harry Norton, who said he was across the street at the time.
Norton and other witnesses said the man received a head injury but was semi-conscious when paramedics arrived.
Johnstown police Capt. Andrew Frear said police could not yet identify him, pending family notification, but confirmed he was taken with unknown injuries to Memorial Medical Center.
Behind Frear, contractors had paused from their work on the South Street home Tuesday afternoon. Shingles were torn off one side of a roof and it appeared crews were preparing it for a new layer.
Frear said the injured worker was replacing a section of aluminum drip edge but that it apparently touched a power line in the process, giving him a shock that knocked him off the ladder.
The incident caused a temporary outage in the neighborhood. Penelec crews were at the scene within an hour working to restore it.